Tomato Bechamel Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons fruity, complex, green, fresh, UP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- A dash of freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until transclucent and tender.
- Add the garlic and saute another minute. Add the flour and stir to incorporate so that there are no lumps or dry spots left.
- Slowly drizzle in the milk, whisking constantly. Stir and bring to a bare simmer until thickened.
- Add the cheese, and stir.
- Add the tomato sauce and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Stir until thickened to buttermilk consistency. Use this versatile sauce for pasta, lasagna, crepes, veggies, etc.
Savory or Sweet Extra Virgin Olive Oil Crepes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Oliva! UP Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Lemon, Orange, or Tangerine Agrumato for sweet crepes are optional)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Add the liquid ingredients, olive oil, eggs, and salt to the jar of a blender, the bowl of a food processor, or alternately whisk together by hand.
- Add the flour and process until completely blended with no lumps or dry spots of flour.
- Allow to stand for 1/2 hour at room temperature.
- Heat a 12″ wide non-stick skillet over medium-low heat, and rub with olive oil.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of the crepe batter in and rotate the pan to spread the batter in to a circle. After about a minute, flip the crepe and cook for an additional minute on the other side.
- Remove to a plate and continue until all the batter has been used. Fill with sweet or savory fillings.**Makes 6 large crepes
Spinach, Cheese, and Wild Mushroom Filling:
- 2 cups sliced wild mushrooms or Cremini mushrooms
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 shallots minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Oliva! Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil or any UP Certified Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Fontina cheese grated
- 1/4 cup Pecorino cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cherve (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute until they begin to caramelize slightly.
- Add the shallots and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Add the spinach and saute until wilted.
- Stir in the Fontina, and other cheeses.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Makes a great filling for crepes or omelets.
**Filling for 6 large crepes
Spinach & Wild Mushroom Manicotti in Tomato-Olive Oil Bechamel:
- Preheat the oven to 375. Grease a 13″x9″ baking dish with olive oil. Fill the crepes with the spinach filling.
- Ladle 1 cup of tomato bechamel in to the bottom of the dish. Arrange the stuffed crepes in a single layer over the sauce, and spread the rest of the sauce on top of the crepes.
- Add a sprinkle of cheese to the top, if desired.
- Bake the crepes for 25 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and slightly golden in spots. Serve warm.